Now that you’ve booked your session, please refer to this list of guidelines to help you plan and prepare
1. Please complete the questionnaire ASAP to help me with planning and styling your session. (if you have, thank you!) I have plenty of wraps, headbands, fabric backdrops in my studio but I like to add a new item or two for each new tiny client if time allows.
2. I style the session, usually based on your color preferences, so you don’t need to bring much to your session. Just your sweet, squishy little babe and a few other items. Such as: standard diaper bag items & feeding supplies. If you are using nipple shields for nursing—Bring those!! I have nursing pillows available.
3. If you want to bring another item that has significant meaning to include in photos with your baby, that’s perfectly fine. Letting me know ahead of time so I can work it into your set is a big help. One thing I like to caution parents about are “crocheted outfits” I get it, it was super sweet that Aunt Mary made that for your little one, but 99.9% of the time your newborn will swim in it and it just doesn’t look great photographed. Any clothing or accessories I use comes from Newborn Prop Vendors that work very closely with photographers and know exactly what sizes and material types work best.
4. If you or your partner are planning to be in photos. I recommend solid color, simple and neutral clothing choices. Both parents in black or both in white look fabulous in front of the camera. Dads in a button down, collared shirt or simple/plain T-shirt. Moms in a “blouse”, flowy dress, or a strappy (or even) nursing tank. For sibling photos, I recommend the same too—simple and neutral. Whatever you choose, bring a few changes in clothes…not just for options, but there’s always a possibility that your newborn may pee (or poo) on you if there’s much time of he/she being nude during the session (I’m used to being in the line of fire a lot!)
5. I will utilize many soothing techniques during the session to get your baby relaxed, sleepy, or settled into a certain pose. Sometimes it can take 20 minutes to get baby relaxed into a pose. I HIGHLY recommend a pacifier during this time to help your baby meet his/her soothing needs. The small amount of time it may be used during the session will not create a dependency, cause nipple confusion, or interrupt feeding routines that you are trying to establish. It’s simply calming a reflex that all babies have long enough to let me comfort them to be photographed. If you have one you prefer to use—please bring it. I have extras in studio if needed. If there are circumstances that make pacifiers a firm “no”, we can work around it, just be aware it may affect the outcome of and the variety of shots I can get.
6. I invite you to relax and hang out on the couch during the time I am photographing your baby. Enjoy the little break, you’ll be able to see everything I’m doing and your baby will never leave your sight. Sometimes parents order a pizza in, or dads go grab lunch and bring it back for you both to enjoy while I’m working with your sweet bundle. Typically sessions can last 2-2.5 hours, so prepare dad and pack snacks or plan to send him on a lunch mission :)
7. If you are coming with young children, you may want to consider driving separately if possible so dad/grandparent can take them home when they are finished with photos. My space is large enough for expending some energy, however, they can get extra antsy during the few hours you might be in the studio.
8. Before you leave the house, feel free to feed your baby but a “snack” might be needed when you arrive to the studio and before we begin. Please dress your baby in a sleeper that buttons or zips, so when we undress or change baby after you arrive, it can be done with minimal stimulation.
9. Every baby and session is unique and I go with the flow of your baby’s temperament that day. Truly, he/she controls the show! but these are a few details we can sometimes control to help yield an amazing session.
I know a lot of this could be new for you, please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions. I’m looking forward to creating something special I CANNOT wait to meet your newborn!!
Final Payment is due at the time of your session, cash, check, or debit/CC. You’ll view your proofs and pick your final images directly after your session (usually takes 20 minutes)
STUDIO ADDRESS: 1011 Broadway Street suite 9 Niles, MI . It’s in the lower level of the Majerek’s business center behind Rite Aid. Go in the building and down the stairs and you’ll find me :)